6.16.2008

Holy Hipper

No, not hipster. Hipper.

The Lower Woodland Skatepark officially opened a couple weeks ago. Mayor Nickels was there.


Mayor Nickels appears at the Lower Woodland Skatepark before heading to court.

There were also grown men jumping over garbage cans.


Don't know who this guy is. Let's just call him better than me.

After the grand opening gala, I took my crack at the park that Sunday. It's a lot of fun. The bowl is steep and fast. Every transition goes to vert no matter how short it is, and it's a lot different than the Ballard Bowl. I managed to do some backside grinds in both sections of the shallow end and in the deep end, so I was happy. The street skating was fun too, but I was a bit rusty having not done that in about a year and a half.

Then I decided to skate last Friday morning before work. That's when I received the hipper while skating the pool. I thought I was doing well, then I came through the shallow end, body extended while on the tile, hit the coping with both trucks, and fell five feet down and about 10 mph or so into the bottom of the adjacent transition. Hurt enough to make me think I could have broken my hip, but really I knew it was just a sweet bruise. So I walked around for a while. Then cruised around a bit on my board. Finally, decided to drop back into the pool for a mellow run. All was going well until I made a lazy bail and clocked my left ankle bone with my deck for a nice bone bruise, on the same side as the hipper. Sweet. No more skating until Wednesday or so. I'd show you a picture of the bruise, but it has yet to make it to the surface. The entire bruise is about the size of my hand, like if I were to put my hand inside my hip.

In other news the moustache marathon is going on day 23 and still kickin' ass. My friend from work is doing an Ironman this weekend, though. So that's my next moustache related goal (140.6 days).



No comments: