1.09.2010

Freezing Rain

Woke up to see freezing rain at Stevens this morning, so Phil and I (yes, that Phil) bagged plans for riding today, but weather should be nicer tomorrow. Freezing rain means there's time for blogging, so I guess I'll catch up on something that already happened.

We went to Maui in November by piggy-backing on my parents anniversary trip. I believe the e-mail from my dad read: "We have reserved a condo on the Hawaiian island of Maui (arrive 11/5, depart 11/11). You are invited to join us if you can find your way there."

Sarah thought it was a joke; I did not. Needless to say, we "found our way there."


Surf spots were either crowded or the surf was nonexistent. Since I've already been surfing to at least be able to say I've been surfing, I opted for the empty, beachside skatepark instead. Skateboarding in Maui is hot, even at 10a. The skatepark was fun, though. It had a decent mini-ramp and a kinked-ass pool with a shallow end that was about 2 to 2.5 feet tall and went to vert (that's a pretty tight transition).


Apparently that idiot from the car insurance commercials also vacations in Maui.


We did the uber-touristy road to Hana. Sarah's favorite part was the black sand beach on the way back.


I enjoyed swimming in some waterfall pools.


We also went to the uber-touristy Mt. Haleakala, but with a little effort you can lose about 99.9% of the crowds. Hiking down to a cindercone was a highlight.


We attended a luau on our last night in Maui. Sarah learned to do some sort of dance or something (I forget the name of it). Anyway, if you've never been to a luau, I've got two words for you: 1) butts and 2) coconuts.


Then the sun set on our vacation.



Look, Mom! New hat!

No comments: