4.17.2008

The Sun Sets on the Sunset


The Sunset Bowl closed its doors last weekend. It was recently sold to a developer for about $13M.


So last Saturday Nels and I said good bye along with some friends: Big Ern, Ishmael, Roy Munson, Claudia, The Dude, Donny, Jesus Quintana, and Walter. As you may have noticed all nicknames for the day were derived from the only two famous bowling movies we knew of (The Big Lebowski and Kingpin).


7:15 AM. I arrive at the Sunset Bowl and get on the waiting list for a lane.


Donny (Kevin) keeps on eye on our breakfast food stuffs from the Ballard Market across the street.


Big Ern (Nels) was throwing rocks and had the highest score of the day (and his career) with a 224.


Man bowling with baby strapped to chest = dedication.

Nels and I continued to bowl as friends filtered in and out throughout the day. We were there from about 7:15 AM to 7:15 PM that day.


The Dude's (my) stats after 11 hours 39 minutes of bowling.

Until the last three games things were going pretty well. A couple games over 200. A couple clean games. Eight strikes in a row (the most I've ever put together, but unfortunately over two games). A 176 average through the first 15 games. Lane conditions changed dramatically, and my games fell apart in the end. I wanted to stop while the stats were looking good, but it was the last time I was ever going to bowl at the Sunset, so I gave it everything I had. I continued to roll my 16 lb ball long after Nels was forced to switch to an 8 lb alley ball without using his thumb due to pain and swelling.

One last time...

204, 167.

No comments: